Friday, April 9, 2010

More on Thornton

Anyone else agree with my Al Horford comparison? As a matter of fact, based on the video, I'm not sure Horford was as talented at the same stage.

I know I'm out on a limb here, probably all by myself, but if you look at the way Thornton handles the ball, goes to his right or left, keeps his head up while dribbling, shoots the ball from the free throw line, moves his feet on defense, and has good hands, I think you'd have to agree that he's a rare player. Doesn't have the size of Horford, but Horford never would be considered for the three position. Thornton looks to have enough skill to pull it off.

Thornton also has a little bit of "Alonzo Gee" (formerly of Univ. of Alabama) talent.

In my opinion, the difference in going to Tech vs. going to Georgia is that Coach Fox can develop Thornton into a serious player at the three position. I'm biased, of course, but I think that the offense that Hewitt uses, the pick and roll motion, is not the best system for a guy with Thornton's skills.

As a matter of fact, one could seriously argue that Georgia Tech is on its way down. Lawal, Favors and Peacock leaving. Controversy with Hewitt. They have some players left, but they won't be able to just feed it to the post and hope that Lawal scores.

Thornton is the kind of player that UGA should compete for and win.

Go Dawgs!

No comments: