Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Dawgs Win!! The good, better and excellent.

Wow! The Dawgs were clicking on all cylinders last night. They scored 98 points on Mississippi Valley State. Final score: UGA, 98. MVSU, 57.

The Dawgs' performance was so outstanding that I have to dispense with my "good, bad and ugly" analysis, and make it, "the good, better, and excellent."

Now, I will put my disclaimer out front. This was Mississippi Valley and it was at home, and I want the Dawgs to succeed. I don't want to get too enthralled when there will be hard days ahead. But, enjoying a win is allowed. And, with my own permission, I will proceed to do so.

The good. We got the W!! Hooray! The Dawgs are now 5 and 1. Not a bad season start.

The better. Contributions from up and down the bench. We got to see who we have. The point guards played much better in eliminating turnovers and distributing the ball. No one was injured, and the players who are recovering (Woodbury, Jackson and Thompkins) were out there on the floor, gaining confidence and getting in shape.

The excellent. Rebounding was superb. Great balance between tough defense and scoring. And Drazen Zlovaric. Who knew? Seven of eight from the floor. Raining in jump-shots. Drazen can put the ball on the floor and finish with authority. I don't know how much of that part of his game was on display last night, but he is super athletic.

Trey Thompkins. The guy can flat out play. He will be the team's leading scorer. He will need to get much stronger and his legs will have to heal. But he is a legitimate 6'9", and he can really score the basketball.

No comments: