Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Anybody know what's going on in the Coaching Search?

We have money and the desire to hire a good head coach. But since we were rejected by the only guy that we openly pursued, I have no idea who we're after, and if we'll be successful in getting our top choices.

I was intrigued by Anthony Grant. I'll admit it. I don't know whether we pushed for him.

There are some former professional coaches out there. I am not particularly impressed with Tim Floyd because of the recruiting "smoke" that indicates a fire somewhere. Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt, but somebody was in charge when all of O.J. Mayo's handlers were getting paid.

Mike Woodson? I'll believe that when I see it. The Hawks are up and coming, and his team is in the 4th slot in the Eastern Conference. People aren't calling for his job these days, so I think he'll stay in the NBA. The one thing you can say about Woodson: he would be an excellent "x's and o's" guy. The Hawks run a lot of different sets-- not perfect schemes, but well beyond what Georgia has had traditionally.

Reggie Theus? Sam Mitchell? UGA could do worse. Don't know how either would fit in Athens, but maybe it could work.

A number of other coaches might be available: Scott Drew at Baylor. Brad Stevens.

I still get the sense that UGA wants a big name, and someone who knows how to win at the college level. And it should be a guy who does not have any significant baggage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tubby back.

No comments: