Sunday, January 25, 2009

One and Done

No, not Derrick Favors--

Mike Mercer.

I was disappointed to see the news that Mike Mercer was in trouble with the law again. Really wanted to see him get that second shot at college athletics at South Florida. I thought that if he could make it work this season he might be able to cobble together a decent career.

After he re-injured his right knee, he had to be very discouraged. If you've played basketball at a very high level all your life, and you think that it's your athletic ability that makes you special, then it must be devastating to face an injury that probably ends your playing career.

As difficult a trial as the second injury would bring, I had hoped that Mercer could still pull through and get his degree. Now, I just don't know. I'm yet hopeful that somehow something good comes of all this.

But from the response of Coach Stan Heath, Mercer's first year at South Florida might be his last.

No comments: